Check out this bee!

Check out this bee!
July 2011, Arvada, CO

2.10.2011

Hair and Hormones

I was about 13 when my hair came in curly.  As a child my hair always had lots of body and I had perfect feathers.  Yes when I was young feathered hair was in style!  I remember getting perms in elementary school and then all of a sudden I no longer needed perms because my hair was naturally curly.  For a while I had perfect spirals or a full on afro which seemed to be directly related to the humidity levels.  After I left the humid Midwest for the arid west my curls relaxed slightly and I had the best of both world where I could go straight or curly depending on the day and my mood.



Pregnancy, thus the title 'hair and hormones', changed my hairs texture once again.  While nursing Xalen I had lovely springy locks, (check out the picture in my last post - Christmas 2007). But after I was left with waves that were hard to work with, they looked alright right after styling but fell to less than attractive by the end of the day, so I spent lots of time straightening my hair.  And then one day I realized that I really did not have much if any curl left in my hair at all.  This was while nursing Brinlee.  I missed my ability to have the best of both worlds but also enjoyed my shiny straight hair too.  Then the oddest thing happened right around the time that I weaned Brinlee my hair started growing in curly (check out the picture on the top of the blog, the poof on top was related to the curls that were emerging mixing with the humid air of Alaska).  I worked very closely with my hair stylist to keep it short enough to be manageable while working to take off the straight hair.  Imagine a perm growing out in reverse.  I am happy to report that I now have a full mop of curly hair once again, and I have a super advanced flat iron to allow me to have the best of both worlds again. Now I need to decide if I want to keep is short or grow it out long... 

No comments:

Post a Comment