I was able to go home this last weekend to see my family. I really wanted to just stay home instead of returning for the last two weeks. I am amazed at how much the kids have changed in three week.
Brinlee is in the middle of a language explosion and every time I talk to her she uses more complete sentences. We call her the baby but she is growing up into a little girl. Here are some of the fun things I noticed this weekend:
She knows her color very well, and she loves to identify colors everywhere
She counts to 9 (she could get to two 3 weeks ago)
She is starting to sing the ABC song and often gets to H with no problem
To get attention she will say 'you who' which comes out "who who"...so cute!!!!
She will now sit still to get her fingers and toe painted - and will keep them still until it is dry
She tells you when she is ready for nap and bed and goes down very nicely
She loves to take care of her baby:
She changes the baby
She rocks the baby
She feeds the baby
She walks the baby
Xalen has changed as well, he has an intense interest in Math. Sean got him a bowl of beans that he uses to do addition. I got out the math puzzles this weekend and he quickly did all the addition then he wanted to learn about subtraction. He used his bean to solve the subtraction problems. He seemed to understand the concept very quickly. Three seems young to be understanding these concepts but I see it best to nurture his natural learning desires and so we are doing math... Over the weekend we went to the pool again; Xalen was showing us how he can now float on his back. We can tell that school is do a good job with swimming because three weeks ago he was hesitant to show us how he could put his head under and blow bubbles. He has always been cautious in the water, so it is wonderful to see him acquiring comfort in the pool now. Just under a year ago he realized that the kids who had accidents did not get to swim that day so we had a little relapse on using the potty because he did not want to swim...That was easily resolved by letting him know that if he did not want to swim he just needed to tell his teacher.
With all of these good changes we have had a really bad one too, Brinlee keeps biting a little boy at day care. It is interesting to me that with these emerging new language skills that she is having a problem common to toddlers who do not have expressive language. I worry that my being out of town is contributing, and I also worry that the problem is not all Brinlee's fault. What is also concerning is that she has had a problem biting before at school that we thought we had resolved. We, meaning Sean, had a meeting with the school on Monday and they want us to take her out for a little while to have some rehab time, thank goodness we have the prefect resource for this task. The school had a meeting with the family of the little boy as well but because of privacy laws we are not aware of the out come of that meeting. What I find extremely sad is that because of current privacy laws that we can not work together with the other parents to resolve the issue. In my eyes the goal is respectful behavior on both kids parts. The day care seem to think that the trigger is when Brinlee feels cornered and so we are worried that if efforts are not being made by the other family that the behavior once we come back may continue or Brinlee may be bullied. So now Sean and I are thinking that we need to look at other daycare options during this time out. My mother in law reminded me that this crisis will just be little bump in the path of life...wise woman! I know she is right but it seems so hard right now because we are in the middle of the mess and I am so far away.
No comments:
Post a Comment