Our diaper days are behind us, but I wanted to comment about some of my favorite aspects of diapering. We used both cloth and disposable diapers on both kids with the ratio about 2/3 reusable and 1/3 disposable (this would have been more reusable if we could of found a day care that would have used cloth!). We decided to give cloth a try after watching my sister use cloth diapers on her first. When Xalen was about three weeks we starting using cloth diapers most of the time. He was so small when he was born that we would have had to get a smaller size to start sooner. Sean and I got in a grove with the cloth diapers very fast, we were sold when we realized that it completely stopped the newborn blowouts and that the diaper rash vanished! We had a good start with the hand-me-downs from my sister (thanks Tiff!); but I really fell in love with the prefolds once we ordered our first snappi and better sized diapers from http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/. My second favorite would be the pocket diaper, which was almost as easy to wash as the prefolds and was super convenient for the diaper bag, dad and baby sitter.
![]() |
| Xalen helping put on the snappi on freshly born Brinlee |
The second time around I thought it would be nice to do cloth from day one and so I got a nice little stash of newborn diapers and covers. The size was nice but I was bummed that we only used them for 6 or 7 weeks. I tried a bunch of different style diapers; prefolds, fitted, pockets, cotton, hemp, fleece, wool, plu, but by the time Brinlee came along I had only our favorites in my stash. These were chooses for ease of wash, ease of use, and fit under clothing (in that order). What made it work for us was: charlies soap, always running a cold prewash, and using the bleaching power of the sun to keep them perfectly stain free.
![]() |
| Xalen's cute cloth diaper booty! |
![]() |
| Brinlee's full body smile in her cloth diaper. |
What I liked most about cloth diapers:
1) Cloth do not stink nearly as much as a diaper pail of disposables (we found that at the end of the day covering the soiled diapers in a water wet diaper killed almost all the odor.)
2) The virtually rash free skin both of my kids enjoyed with cloth diapers
3) The relatively small amount of diapers we put in the land fill
4) The money we saved
![]() |
| The best of the best all boxed up for someone else to use |




No comments:
Post a Comment