Check out this bee!

Check out this bee!
July 2011, Arvada, CO

7.09.2011

As the Garden Grows - July


Tomatoes a Plenty

First Sign of Color



Zucchini, pumpkin, tomatoes, and basil
The Garden continues to produce.  We have been eating herbs, strawberries, lettuce and broccoli 'rhab' (a thin spicy variety) for about a month peas and snow peas for the last week and it looks like tomatoes and onions will be added in the next weeks.  My favorites this year are the box wood basil, tiny little leaves that give a magnificent flavor punch to everything from sandwiches to pizza.  We had a few disappointments too...  The cantaloupe (you can see their bare mounds in the picture below) and eggplant that we had great success with last year came up from seed died off quickly. 


Not all the seeds did so well :(
Today after finishing the pea harvest, I took out the peas and the broccoli and while everyone napped (the boys came in on the red eye from Alaska morning) I went down to O'tools to see if they had anything left to fill in my gaps.  The selection was not huge, but some of the plants looked healthy so I picked up some purple and green cabbage, three varieties of peppers (banana, sweet, and a mediun chili), a white eggplant (I have never heard of this before), a watermelon and an artichoke.  I even got couple Gerber daisies and some potato vine for color.  I have no idea if we will get anything from these late additions but it does add some nice color to all the bare spots.
Some old and some new today


No comments:

Post a Comment