So, I finally completed my elimination diet and went back into see the allergist again. I had kept a pretty detailed spreadsheet of corn and or egg foods consumed and a daily log of skin conditions. The elimination should have been done a while ago except almost all medications contain corn products, so when I was put on antibiotics my elimination diet went on hold.
Eliminating eggs and egg products was pretty easy. It sucked that it included many of my favorite foods but overall it was easy to avoid. Corn on the other hand was not at all easy to avoid. It is found in many processed foods. Some places that surprised me were: creamer, gum, flour tortillas, baking powder, powdered sugar, Kielbasa, Johnsonville Brats (Boulder ones were clean!!!). What has saved me is natural foods, and organic foods. For example Heinz ketchup regular corn syrup, but Heinz Organic ketchup uses sugar.
After reviewing my notes with the doctor he concluded that the corn is most likely the cause of my eczema. I should start eating eggs like normal and monitor my skin to make sure that it stay asymptomatic (I do have an egg allergy but everyone tolerates the allergy differently). If I am fine with egg in my diet then I get to play with corn in my diet to find my tolerance. When he was explaining this to me I kept thinking that I should be happy that we have gotten to the bottom of this! But in reality I was really bummed. Food allergies are really tough, eating out is close to impossible and you always have to be prepare and plan ahead...nothing is convenient.
Today I went to the store to get some of my favorite corn free egg products; ice cream, gelato, noodles, and fresh eggs. I plan to make eggs in the morning for a lovely start to the day!
The doctor thinks I will be a pro in 6 months. I just have to keep telling myself that in the mean time. Thank goodness for wine and chocolate! (both are corn and egg free...)
No comments:
Post a Comment